[Frama-c-discuss] The Capabilities of Frama-C

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] The Capabilities of Frama-C
  • From: vadim.tsesko at gmail.com (Vadim TSES'KO)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:33:08 +0400

Hi, everybody!

I represent a team of researchers and we are considering using Frama-C
framework for building C/C++ static analysis tool.

I couldn't find any specific information about the capabilities of
Frama-C and digging into the source code is rather time consuming.

Could you please answer some questions or redirect me to appropriate
sources of information.

1. What C/C++ standards are supported by the parser being used in
Frama-C? (C89, C99, C++ 2003, GNU Extensions, ...)

2. What algorithms are implemented for interval analysis? How precise is
the analysis? Are values of dynamic objects taken into consideration?

3. Is there implemented any kind of points-to analysis? Which kind?

4. How structures and multi-dimensional arrays are supported in
implemented analysis types? Is the analysis element- and field-aware?

5. Which generic types of analysis are implemented?
(Path-sensitive/insensitive, Context-sensitive/insensitive,
Inter-procedural/intra-procedural, ...)

6. Which companies/institutions/research groups/... has used Frama-C
framework successfully?

7. Has any tests been conducted on real applicability of Frama-C
framework? (For instance to analyzing or verifying any commercial or
opensource software) Where can I find any information?

In my humble opinion, this information would be very useful on official
website.

Thank you for your attention,

Vadim TSES'KO