[Frama-c-discuss] question about hybrid logic functions

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] question about hybrid logic functions
  • From: Claude.Marche at inria.fr (Claude Marche)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:38:32 +0200

Jorge Sousa Pinto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Consider some hybrid logic function (or predicate) for which no
> definition or axioms are given (the function is simply declared). Is
> it in principle possible to use such a function in ACSL contracts?

Yes, but some information must be given on which part of the memory heap
it depends on.
> The situation I have in mind is to specify the behaviour of some
> abstract data type and to be able to reason about operations on that
> type independently of concrete implementations.
>
> For instance something like
>
> struct stack {} st;
>
> /*@ axiomatic A {
>   @ logic integer count_of{L} (Stack s) ;
>   @*/

here, by default it is assumed that the value of  "count_of{L} (s)" does
not depend on the heap, which is not what you want...

> /*@ requires 0 < count_of{Here}(st);
>   @ ensures  count_of{Here}(st) == count_of{Old}(st) - 1;
>   @*/
> void pop(void) ;
>
> One would like to be able to reason about pop without an actual
> implementation of it (or indeed of the stack type!) being given.
>
> I've tried this in Frama-c Lithium and obtain an inconsistency, I
> wonder if this idea is just absurd?
The inconsistency follows from what I've said above: since st is
unchanged, count_of{Here}(st) == count_of{Old}(st), hence if you state
the same with - 1, it introduce a contradiction

The idea of "abstract data type" should be modelized by providing an
abstract state, which is the purpose of "model fields" (ACSL manual,
section 2.11.2) which also exist in JML for Java. Unfortunately these
are not supported in Frama-C yet. What you can do also is to use a ghost
field.

//@ logic type abstract_stack;

struct stack {
  //@ ghost abstract_stack my_abstraction;
} st;

/*@ axiomatic A {
  @    logic integer count_of{L} (Stack s) reads s.my_abstraction;
  @*/

/*@ requires 0 < count_of{Here}(st);
  @ assigns st.my_abstraction;
  @ ensures  count_of{Here}(st) == count_of{Old}(st) - 1;
  @*/
void pop(void) ;

and this will not give any inconsistency.

Hope this helps,

- Claude