[Frama-c-discuss] Incremental verification

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Incremental verification
  • From: Claude.Marche at inria.fr (Claude Marche)
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 17:54:58 +0200

On 10/04/2010 02:13 PM, Boris Hollas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is a proposal for a feature: When writing and verifying code, you
> typically do the following:
>
>    repeat
>      change some lines in your code or specification
>      run Jessie
>    until verified
>
> I'd like to considerably reduce the time needed for Jessie in this loop.
> The Visual Studio plugin for Spec# has a feature that lets the verifier
> run each time the content of the buffer has been changed. This gives
> immediate feedback and greatly improves productivity because you can
> very quickly narrow down the reason why the code doesn't verify. Is a
> similar feature possible for Frama-C/Jessie? For example, Frama-C may
> watch the source file. Each time a change is detected, Jessie is run
> again, but only for the parts that changed. Thus, contracts for
> unaltered functions that had previously been verified don't have to be
> verified again, which will save a lot of time. Caching of proofs and
> failed proofs may also speed up Jessie.

Hi,

I know the Spec# demo within Visual Studio: impressive and very
professional advertisement :-)

<begin advertisement>

Indeed the next Why/Jessie version, scheduled for december, will have
support
for some if these: cache of already proved goals, and better parallel
calls of external provers.
Hopefully it will allow to focus on the changes quickly. But this will
not run at every file save, because
it might take too long time.

This will be in a newly designed GUI. It will also offer the possibility
to call an interactive
prover like Coq on individual goals (a long awaited feature...)

<end of advertisement>

- Claude

--
Claude March?                          | tel: +33 1 72 92 59 69
INRIA Saclay - ?le-de-France           | mobile: +33 6 33 14 57 93