[Frama-c-discuss] Unsound results from the value plugin on some arrays access

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Unsound results from the value plugin on some arrays access
  • From: Pierre.Karpman at rennes.supelec.fr (Pierre Karpman)
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:36:16 +0200

Hello,

I'm using the value analysis of Frama-C, and it sometimes gives me
results that I don't completely understand; I'm not quite sure if it is
a problem from the plugin itself, or merely from how I'm using it.
For instance, at some point in a program, I have a variable "i" which
value is in {32, 64} (Frama-C computes this all right), and I also have
an array "out" of size 64. Now if at this point I try to evaluate
out[i], I get a result that's not bottom, which is quite troubling; but
evaluating out[64] does yield a bottom result as I would expect. So it
would seem that the knowledge of the value of "i" is not used when
evaluating expressions where it appears? Is there any way to make it so?

Cheers,
Pierre

P.S. I first encountered this behaviour while using a plugin that
intercepts the results of the value analysis at various points in the
analysed programs; I then reproduced it whit the GUI to compare the
results for say "out[i]" and "out[64]".