[Frama-c-discuss] examples of linked lists or trees

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] examples of linked lists or trees
  • From: Claude.Marche at inria.fr (Claude Marche)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:02:50 +0200

Hi Alwyn,

Verifying programs involving linked list, trees, pointer data structures
in general, is difficult because
you systematically face issues regarding separation of memory. Known
solutions in the litterature involve advanced concepts like separation
logic, ownership, dynamic frames, etc. These need specific specification
constructs which are not in ACSL. The existing predicate \separated
supported by WP is not sufficient in general. The internal region
analysis of Jessie is not sufficient either.

If you want to experiment with a system providing such kind of
constructs, I recommend Verifast. There are others around of course.
http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~bart.jacobs/verifast/

I consider that this subject remains an important topic to study in
theory, before a simple and satisfactory enough approach will appear in
a system like Frama-C which aims at industrial applications *now*. Here
are a few links providing pointer programs examples annotated in ACSL
and proved in Frama-C (or close)

- In Caduceus, predecessor of Frama-C+Jessie, a few experiments were
made, including the famous Schorr-Waite a"benchmark" See e.g. Thierry
Hubert and Claude March? <http://www.lri.fr/%7Emarche/>. A case study of
C source code verification: the Schorr-Waite algorithm. In Bernhard K.
Aichernig and Bernhard Beckert, editors, /3rd IEEE International
Conference on Software Engineering and Formal Methods (SEFM'05)/,
Koblenz, Germany, September 2005. IEEE Comp. Soc. Press.

- For a recent  study of separation logic concepts in Frama-C, see
Fran?ois Bobot. /Logique de s?paration et v?rification d?ductive/. Th?se
de doctorat, Universit? Paris-Sud, December 2011.
http://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/65/25/08/PDF/VD_BOBOT_FRANCOIS_12122011.pdf

- Claude