[Frama-c-discuss] dead code while trying to slice

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Paul Rubel <prubel at bbn.com> wrote:
> Do I need to address all the assertions, which are marked as warnings,
> before I can expect a reasonable slice or am I already completely out
> of luck due to the recursion flag?
>
> At a higher level, how do folks go about debugging too much code being
> marked as dead when trying to slice? Are there certain messages or
> types of messages that I should be particularly looking for or flags
> that would be helpful?

I can only stress what Patrick said about the importance of having
correct dependencies for functions that have no bodies (those that
give rise to the warning "No code for function ... default assigns
generated"). Except for simple functions, typically those that have no
side effect, you should review carefully the ACSL 'assigns' clause
that is guessed for each function, and write a correct one yourself if
needed. If the missing functions are those of the standard C library,
try to parse your application with the file share/libc/fc_runtime.c or
share/libc/posix_fc_runtime.c (with the appropriate -I directives).
With luck, you should obtain much better results with little effort.

HTH,

--
Boris