[Frama-c-discuss] Is there any difference between "assigns \result \from \nothing" and "assigns \nothing"

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Is there any difference between "assigns \result \from \nothing" and "assigns \nothing"
  • From: boris at yakobowski.org (Boris Yakobowski)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:26:38 +0100

Hi,

There are no differences between form 2 and 3. In fact, the next
version of Frama-C will display them in the same way.

Form 1 is however different. It is transformed into 2 clauses:
- an 'assigns' clause "assigns \result", that says that the function
does not modify the memory, except for the pseudo-location
corresponding to the return code
- a 'from' clause "assigns \result \from \nothing", that (roughly)
indicates that the value that is being returned does not depend on the
environment (global variables, or formal parameters). In fact, such a
clause implies that the return code is a constant.

HTH,