[Frama-c-discuss] From Value to EVA

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] From Value to EVA
  • From: boris at yakobowski.org (Boris Yakobowski)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:23:45 +0100

Dear all,

As you may know, there have been deep changes in the engine of the Value
Analysis plugin, during the last two releases (Aluminium and Silicon). We
considered those improvements important enough to warrant a change of the
name of the plugin. Hence the renaming from Value Analysis to Evolved Value
Analysis (EVA, for short) that you may have noticed in the Changelog or on
the Silicon website.

By lack of time, documentation on the novelties brought by Eva remain a bit
sparse. We intend to upload an updated version of Eva's manual by the end
of January. In the meantime, existing material include:
- the talk I gave during the Frama-C Day 2016 [1]
- a paper, to be presented at VMCAI 2017 [2]
- for the more adventurous, the command-line help of the -eva prefixed
options [3]
Our current plan is to better document these options, explaining on which
code they increase precision, as well as their limitations (if any).

It is also our pleasure to announce a tutorial on Eva and WP during POPL
2017, which will be held in Paris in January. On the Eva side, we will
focus on the APIs of abstract domains. If all goes wel, users will be able
to add new domains/analyses by the end of the tutorial. The course material
will be made available on the Frama-C website afterwards, but we encourage
you to register if you are interested!

Finally, stay tuned for more Eva-related novelties, this time on the blog
[5].

[1]
https://frama-c.com/download/framaCDay/FCD16/talk/boris_yakobowski_eva.pdf
[2]