From: Frama-c-discuss [frama-c-discuss-bounces at lists.gforge.inria.fr] on behalf of Yannick Moy [moy at adacore.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:51 AM
To: Frama-C public discussion
Subject: Re: [Frama-c-discuss] WP: Checking for invalid preconditions

-- COK David (2018-12-18)
The way to do this manually is to put something unprovable at the end of the function - e.g. at the return or as a last postcondition. If WP does not complain about it then something in all the assumptions to that point is unsatisfiable.
(This is common enough that OpenJML for Java programs automatically attempts a feasibility check whevener a proof succeeds.)

In OpenJML, do you simply add such a check at the end of each function? That's one point to check, but possibly not the only one, and it does not allow detecting inconsistencies in preconditions if the body of the function is not analyzed.

In SPARK, we have added recently such checking in various places, at the request of customers:
- to detect inconsistent preconditions (independently of the analysis of the function itself)
- to detect postconditions always false
- to detect dead code after loops (because of the risk of not proving loop termination leading to unsoundness)
- to detect unreachable branches in assertions and contracts (because complex contracts may lead to confusion that can be detected this way)

Unfortunately, on realistic problems, it can take quite a bit longer (in my experience) to determine satisfiability than unsatisfiability, particularly if there are many quantified axioms. Consequently adding infeasibility checks can add time to proof checking.

We also had the same experience, so we limited this checking to: only one prover called for each of these, with a timeout of 1 second. And we also did not enable it by default, people have to use a switch (--proof-warnings). And we handle these specially, so that we get only warning messages when there is an issue, and nothing when the unreachability property is not proved.

But we also recommend enabling it, as it found surprising problems in our own testsuite. :-)
In particular, the test for unreachable branches in assertions/contracts is something that I recommend implementing in other tools.

--
Yannick Moy, Senior Software Engineer, AdaCore