[Frama-c-discuss] Problems in Argon with memset on unsigned char arrays

Hello,

The addition of valid_or_empty was done to ensure that the special case
when the length parameter is 0 (e.g. in memcpy) is still properly
detected by Frama-C: a valid pointer is still necessary (C11,
§7.24.1.2), even if no data is copied.

Unfortunately, there is no way in ACSL to check it for a void* pointer
without casting it to a pointer to a datatype of size 1. Following C11,
§7.24.1.3, strictly speaking, the cast to "char*" might have been
written "unsigned char*". For WP, however, this would not change
anything; the cast would still be present.

I am unable to give detailed information about WP support, but at least
temporarily, reverting to the specifications from Frama-C 17 should be
fine, unless you know your code is likely to include zero-length memcpy
and similar calls with possibly invalid pointers (in practice, this is a
rare situation).

Concerning your new question: not being well-versed in WP, the only
suggestion I could think of would be an ugly hack consisting in using
the C preprocessor and the predefined macro __FRAMAC__:

#ifndef __FRAMAC__
   // original code
#else
   bzero(p, n); // code that will be seen only by Frama-C
#endif

This would be a completely generic way to ensure the code still compiles
as before, but produces a different behavior when analyzed by Frama-C.
Obviously, one must then ensure that both behave the same way, etc.