[Frama-c-discuss] Cast support with Jessie in Lithium

Hi,

Sorry I did not answer before. This question has already be partly answered
off-line, but I summarize here what can be done with the Jessie plugin
regarding unions and casts.

Unions without pointer fields are now translated to bitvectors, so that
access in these unions are translated to low-level accesses. Thus, the
following code can be analyzed, but we do not yet provide a way to prove the
resulting assertions, by asserting that any subset of bits from the
bitvector representation of 0 is 0:

union U {
  int i;
  struct { short s1; short s2; } s;
};

//@ requires \valid(x);
void zero(union U* x) {
  x->i = 0;
  //@ assert x->s.s1 == 0;
  //@ assert x->s.s2 == 0;
}

Unions with pointer fields (either direct fields or sub-fields of structure
fields) are translated differently, because we treat pointers differently
than other types, to allow an automatic analysis of separation of memory
blocks. Thus, we treat unions with pointer fields as discriminated unions,
so that writing in a field erases all information on other fields. This
allows to verify the following program:

union U {
  int i;
  int* p;
};

//@ requires \valid(x);
void zero(union U* x) {
  x->i = 0;
  //@ assert x->i == 0;
  x->p = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int));
  *x->p = 1;
  //@ assert *x->p == 1;
}

Finally, casts between pointer types are allowed, with the corresponding
accesses to memory treated as low-level accesses to some bitvector. This
allows to verify the safety of the following program:

//@ requires \valid(x);
void zero(int* x) {
  char *c = (char*)x;
  *c = 0;
  c++;
  *c = 0;
  c++;
  *c = 0;
  c++;
  *c = 0;
}

Regarding your error message, it refers to an internal structure created for
unsigned int* pointers. This says that casts between pointers and
non-pointers are not allowed in the Jessie plugin, as its documentation
says.

http://frama-c.cea.fr/jessie.html

What are the casts of union to int that you mention ? Do you mean pointer to
union to int ?

Cheers,
Yannick