[Frama-c-discuss] Cast support with Jessie in Lithium

Hi,

Thank you for your very detailed answer. It allows me to understand more
deeply what is supported and what is not. And I am glad I can now
understand my error message.

As for the casts between a union and an int I mentioned, I actually got
confused. I wanted to mean: having both an int and a struct in a union;
but you already answered in your first example beneath (the one with union
U{int i; struct{short s1; short s2} s; }

Thank you,

Jean-Baptiste Jeannin

"Yannick Moy" <yannick.moy@gmail.com>
21/11/2008 12:31

jean-baptiste.jeannin@hispano-suiza-sa.com
cc
frama-c-discuss@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Objet
Re: [Frama-c-discuss] Cast support with Jessie in Lithium

Hi,

Sorry I did not answer before. This question has already be partly
answered off-line, but I summarize here what can be done with the Jessie
plugin regarding unions and casts.

Unions without pointer fields are now translated to bitvectors, so that
access in these unions are translated to low-level accesses. Thus, the
following code can be analyzed, but we do not yet provide a way to prove
the resulting assertions, by asserting that any subset of bits from the
bitvector representation of 0 is 0:

union U {
  int i;
  struct { short s1; short s2; } s;
};

//@ requires \valid(x);
void zero(union U* x) {
  x->i = 0;
  //@ assert x->s.s1 == 0;
  //@ assert x->s.s2 == 0;
}

Unions with pointer fields (either direct fields or sub-fields of
structure fields) are translated differently, because we treat pointers
differently than other types, to allow an automatic analysis of separation
of memory blocks. Thus, we treat unions with pointer fields as
discriminated unions, so that writing in a field erases all information on
other fields. This allows to verify the following program:

union U {
  int i;
  int* p;
};

//@ requires \valid(x);
void zero(union U* x) {
  x->i = 0;
  //@ assert x->i == 0;
  x->p = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int));
  *x->p = 1;
  //@ assert *x->p == 1;
}

Finally, casts between pointer types are allowed, with the corresponding
accesses to memory treated as low-level accesses to some bitvector. This
allows to verify the safety of the following program:

//@ requires \valid(x);
void zero(int* x) {
  char *c = (char*)x;
  *c = 0;
  c++;
  *c = 0;
  c++;
  *c = 0;
  c++;
  *c = 0;
}

Regarding your error message, it refers to an internal structure created
for unsigned int* pointers. This says that casts between pointers and
non-pointers are not allowed in the Jessie plugin, as its documentation
says.

http://frama-c.cea.fr/jessie.html

What are the casts of union to int that you mention ? Do you mean pointer
to union to int ?

Cheers,
Yannick

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:23 AM, <