[Frama-c-discuss] RE : The Capabilities of Frama-C

CUOQ Pascal wrote:

> I am not sure I understand the question about
> "values of dynamic objects", but if the question is whether
> the analyzer can distinguish the different values successively
> taken by a variable during the execution, the answer is "yes".

I would like to consider an example to make clear "values of dynamic
objects":
Let's consider a program that builds a large graph (tree or linked list)
in dynamic memory. Each element of the graph is a structure containing
fields with data. Will the implemented analysis be able to define right
and precise values for each member of this graph on the heap? What are
approximate memory requirements for conducting analysis on such a small
program building large complex structures in dynamic memory?

I'm sorry for quite a specific example.

Many existing algorithms use widening and other techniques leading to
precision loss and even wrong information. As far as I could understand
Frama-C framework is based on abstract interpretation approach, so it
bounds the size of programs being analyzed. Especially if each path in
the program is considered separately. How could you estimate resources
needed for conducting the analysis depending on the size of the program
being analyzed?

I'm very interested in details of Frama-C algorithms and I have many
questions. Could you please provide me with the list of major
publications (articles) for me to be able to understand Frama-C
algorithms, their potential and limitations more deeply.

> A tutorial that will double as a
> demonstration of the value analysis' capabilities on
> "real" software should be available very soon.

Looking forward to reading the tutorial!

Thank you very much for your expanded answer!

Best regards,
	Vadim TSES'KO