From: frama-c-discuss-bounces at lists.gforge.inria.fr [mailto:frama-c-discuss-bounces at lists.gforge.inria.fr] On Behalf Of Claude Marche
Sent: jeudi 10 d?cembre 2009 09:17
To: Frama-C public discussion
Subject: Re: [Frama-c-discuss] Discrepancy between Jessie gui and command line when using yices

Kerstin Hartig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I somehow do not understand what this option is exactly doing.
> I tried to find more information in the manual, but unfortunately I
> couldn't.
> In the help-page I found even more VC transformation options like --exp all
> or eval-goals...
> I am wondering now, if it is sufficient if a VC can be proved with the
> option -exp goal, but not without (timeout).
> Especially as it seems to be a default option in batch mode.
> To answer this I'd like to understand better what is meant by "expand
> definitions of predicates in the generated goals".
> Maybe someone can help with this.

If the goal contains f(a), and f is a predicate or function defined by

logic P(x) = e

then replace f(a) in the goal by e where occurrence of x are replaced by a.

It can be expected that automatic provers could do that themselves, but
unfortunately provers are sometimes so as smart as expected...

- Claude

> Thank you in advance,
> Kerstin
>

>>> After investigating, I found that this because in batch mode, the
>>> generation of goals for smt solvers (yices, z3, cvc3)
>>> is done with the why option "-exp goal" which ask to automatically
>>> expand definitions of predicates in the generated goals.
>>>

>>> Thus to obtain the same behavior in the gui, you need to do
>>>

>>> frama-c -jessie  -jessie-why-opt " -exp goal" sw.c

Claude March?                          | tel: +33 1 72 92 59 69
INRIA Saclay - ?le-de-France           | mobile: +33 6 33 14 57 93
Parc Orsay Universit?                  | fax: +33 1 74 85 42 29
4, rue Jacques Monod - B?timent N      | http://www.lri.fr/~marche/
F-91893 ORSAY Cedex                    |