[Frama-c-discuss] RE : Using an installed copy of Why?

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] RE : Using an installed copy of Why?
  • From: Pascal.CUOQ at cea.fr (CUOQ Pascal)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:04:49 +0100

> is that it is otherwise difficult to package
> Frama-C for use in Linux distributions: although it uses Why, it will
> be incompatible with a Why package, and any extra
> distribution-specific changes that are made to Why would also have to
> be separately applied to Frama-C (that is, to the copy of Why
> contained within Frama-C).

Although this is only?my opinion, I wouls suggest that,
from the standpoint of generalist distributions,
the Frama-C package should be considered as the package
that provides Why. Why? Each Frama-C release comes with
what is the latest version of Why at that point*.
Although a serious user of why understands the difference
between the two and may need a Why feature that was added
since the last Frama-C release (nowadays about every
three months, and likely to evolve in a more flexible system),
a serious user of Why is already likely to compile Why
from sources instead of using
his distribution's binary package.

"Packagers like to split software into very small pieces
for very sensible reasons," you may exclaim. "A Why user
does not necessarily need the tens of megabytes
of Frama-C overhead!".
That is a good point, but if someone feels an urge to
split related files into different packages,
I would suggest to make the cut along a different line,
with frama-c + why in one package, and
frama-c-gui + why-viewer in another. This should keep that
person busy enough to forget about the Why / Frama-C line
for a while.

Again, I should emphasize that these are only my opinions.
In fact, in the case of the non-gui/gui split, it is not even
my opinion that it is a good idea. Please treat this message
with all the seriousness of a January 1st - 10 am one. And,
let me wish a happy and fruitful new year to everyone.

Pascal

* I won't do it again. Promise.