[Frama-c-discuss] question about hybrid logic functions

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] question about hybrid logic functions
  • From: jsp at di.uminho.pt (Jorge Sousa Pinto)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:10:02 +0100

Hi,

Consider some hybrid logic function (or predicate) for which no
definition or axioms are given (the function is simply declared). Is
it in principle possible to use such a function in ACSL contracts?

The situation I have in mind is to specify the behaviour of some
abstract data type and to be able to reason about operations on that
type independently of concrete implementations.

For instance something like

struct stack {} st;

/*@ axiomatic A {
   @ logic integer count_of{L} (Stack s) ;
   @*/

/*@ requires 0 < count_of{Here}(st);
   @ ensures  count_of{Here}(st) == count_of{Old}(st) - 1;
   @*/
void pop(void) ;

One would like to be able to reason about pop without an actual
implementation of it (or indeed of the stack type!) being given.

I've tried this in Frama-c Lithium and obtain an inconsistency, I
wonder if this idea is just absurd?

A different task would of course be to prove the correctness of a
given implementation by defining the logic function in accordance with
the concrete type (that one I can do).

Many thanks
Jorge