[Frama-c-discuss] A toy electronic voting software checked with Frama-C

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] A toy electronic voting software checked with Frama-C
  • From: dmentre at linux-france.org (David MENTRE)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:30:15 +0100

Hello,

Please find attached the source code of a toy electronic voting
software checked with Frama-C. All properties are proven with Alt-Ergo
except a few ones related to assign clauses (for which I made a
separated test case : [1]).

Usage:
 make test      # to test the software
 make check   # Frama-C/Jessie in command line
 make gui       # Frama-C/Jessie in GUI

I would be very grateful if somebody could read my Frama-C annotations
and tell me about errors, inaccuracies or bad style. This is after all
my first Frama-C program. ;-)

This software does not pretend to be of any use. Even regarding the
functionnalities of the program, several things could be improved or
refined. The current code has the advantage of conciseness (about 300
lines of code) while keeping core functionalities (I/O and
computations).

My overall comments regarding Frama-C:

 * I'm rather pleased with the software. The documentation is useful
(good index for ACSL) even if not complete (Jessie), the software is
working and I had only a few blocking bugs. Once you know a few idoms
(loop invariants, non terminating functions, ...), it is rather easy
for a basic engineer like me to express properties and check them;

 * Frama-C/Jessie helped me to find bugs in my original program,
either benign ones (e.g. the potential overflow of counters) or more
serious ones (e.g. program behaviour when reading too short candidate
list).

 * A working subset of the Frama-C ecosystem is Free Software, making
easier to use it in various settings. I hope the few remaning
licensing issues[2] will be cleared out, allowing inclusion of Frama-C
into various Linux distributions;

 * On my program, Jessie/Alt-Ergo GUI are becoming a bit slow,
compared to toy example I have tested. It might come from my
particular program, the way I have written or structured the code. I
would be interested to hear of any way I could improve this;

 * I haven't dug yet into the development of plugins or into the
Frama-C GUI (slicing, ...) so I won't comment on them, even if they
seem quite interesting.

Thank you for the work your are doing,
Sincerely yours,
david