[Frama-c-discuss] Semantics of Jessie icons?

valid   (green dot)     : the VC is a true formula
invalid (red dot)       : the VC is not a true formula
unknown (question mark) : it is not known if the formula is true or not
timeout (scissor)       : the prover did not answer before the timeout

                           (10 s by default)
failure (tools)         : the prover answer was not recognized
         (hard disk)     : this VC is already known valid in GWhy cache

* the shape of the icons varies among users, becasue these are builtin
GTK icons, which depend on the current gtk theme

* in principle, invalid should be identified with unknown, because
provers are incomplete can very rarely say that a formula is definitely
not true. historically, Simplify answers is either "valid" or "invalid",
where "invalid" indeed means "unknown". The GWhy maps those invalid to
the question mark but the textual output might still classified them as
invalid.

* the cache feature is not really used: the VCs in cache are still rerun
in provers.

* failure might have many causes: fail to run prover's process, syntax
error in the output file, etc. In case of failure, one can inspect the
problem by activating debug (menu Proof/Debug mode) and look at the
debugging output in the console.

- Claude

PS: I support the idea of setting-up a wiki so that this kind of info
could be more persistant.