[Frama-c-discuss] A few accessors...

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] A few accessors...
  • From: Pascal.Cuoq at cea.fr (Pascal Cuoq)
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:38:07 +0200

On May 4, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Jonathan-Christofer Demay wrote:

> I've patched frama-c so to add a few accessors, those have been
> handy to
> manipulate some data I needed for a plugin.

We will gladly integrate your patch.

> By the way, frama-c's Makefile parallel processing is buggy:
> make -j1 works, make -j2 fails.
>
> I don't know much about Makefile but if it can helps:
> make -j1 depend && make -j2 works
> So apparently the parallel processing problem is within the depend
> rule.

That's the wrong way to look at it :)
> make -j1 depend && make -j2
works because we made it work.
Usually, Makefiles involving OCaml do not even support
parallel compilation in this way. It has to do with the presence
of two compilers that produce (or read if they seem already exist) the
same files.

The initial steps of compilation are harder to debug and
less critical to the developers (we do mostly incremental
re-builds), so no-one has bothered to fix them.
As a packager, your ratio compilation/re-compilation is different,
so maybe you'll be tempted to fix it. Otherwise, let's just
call it a known bug, okay?

> And also by the way, frama-c (and almost all possible dependencies)
> are
> now part of the scientific overlay of gentoo linux:
> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/sci.git

This is great news. Gentoo thus proves that it is the
distribution of choice for the discriminating Linux hacker
(in fact, it's a tie with Frugalware Linux which packaged
Frama-C at about the same time).

Pascal