[Frama-c-discuss] ugly output shape - gwhy and frama-c-gui

Hi!

> I don't know yet in which mail list I should send this message, because I have the same problem in both GUI's.

Hopefully both problems will be solved at the same time, so it doesn't
matter much.

> I installed Frama-C Beryllium in Mac OS Snow Leopard, following the notes:
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/frama-c-discuss/2009-September/001390.html

Did you do the compilation on a Leopard machine and move the
files afterwards? This is the recommended method. Compiling directly
on Snow Leopard is untested (actually we know there are going
to be problems, this could be one of them).

> I tried first to run the frama-c-gui, and the result was a mess. It seems that the font is not correct.

What I do is install the DejaVu fonts, but that's only to solve a problem
with a few mathematical characters. I have not seen font problems
such as yours since very old versions of GTK+, at the time
GTK+'s level of support for Leopard was comparable to its current
level of support for Snow Leopard nowadays.

Frama-C comes pre-configured to use the DejaVu fonts if available.

By the way, do not be fooled by the "no new features" advertising
on Snow Leopard. In snow Leopard, Apple changed gcc's default
to compile everything with the 64-bit instruction set,
which is a major change and broke a lot of packages
in MacPorts.
In theory you could configure MacPorts to use the -m32 gcc option and
compile everything in 32-bit again, but this MacPorts feature was
not used much until now and, not having been tested much,
it breaks other things.

Anyway... A binary package containing Frama-C, Why, the DejaVu fonts,
and instructions to use all of them together has been submitted for release
on the website http://frama-c.cea.fr/ yesterday. It should be available
any moment. It has been tested on a fresh Snow Leopard with nothing
preinstalled (actually both the Intel and PowerPC (with Rosetta) versions
have been tested on Snow Leopard and both work quite well).
So if that's acceptable to you, I would suggest to forget about
compiling Frama-C by yourself and use the provided binaries.

I had the chance to try Gwhy (included in this package) and it seemed
to display fine too, at least when playing the Jessie tutorial.

I would share my compilation notes, but they were not intended to
be very readable, and they complicate the installation by trying to
be compatible with existing installations of MacPorts or of OCaml.
I should only mention that the Intel binary release is based on
MacPorts 1.8.1, lablgtk 2.14.0, and ocamlgraph 1.3,
more recent than in the  compilation guide released by Jens.
I also compiled graphviz with the +no_x11 option.
But none of these differences are the cause of your problem.

Pascal