[Frama-c-discuss] Release Beryllium 20090901

Hi!

> What I am interested in is a list of 5-10 bullets of the most important
> user-visible changes of Jessie in the Beryllium version.
> For example, the command to call Jessie is now frama-c -jessie.
> Also, loop assigns are now supported, which was discussed in April.
> On the other hand, the changelog lists "Restore compatibility with ocaml 3.10.2"
> as change with an impact for users. For the latter, I dont't see a major impact
> for users.

You point to a very real issue. Among the other drawbacks of the
current approach is that the changelog may mention changes that have
been done and undone since the last release, which shouldn't be there
at all in a "changelog of big changes".

I do not see any obvious solution. Most people are unable to give a list of
salient things they have done in the last 3-6 months. The only way to get
this "high-level" changelog would therefore seem to be to write it
day-to-day, but not only is it also difficult to recognize when what you are doing
at the moment is important enough to be in the "big" changelog,
developers also have a hard time as it is to keep the only changelog
in the current system up-to-date and accurate.

> Another thing I noted is the following: Alt-Ergo was selected
> as prover in the menu "Proof", but I had to check the mark for Alt-Ergo
> in "Configuration" to see the green bullets.

This change would belong in the Why changelog, and I am not saying it is,
but I am not saying it isn't.

Finally, if you care enough about Jessie to miss a synthetic changelog when
a new version is available -- and maybe to have some regression tests of your
own -- you can help developers concentrate on improving it by using the
wiki to list the important changes that you noticed and workaround that
you found on the wiki:
http://bts.frama-c.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mantis%3AFrama-C%3Astart
It appears to be accessible read-only by anonymous, which was a
source of complaints in the past. I note that although the wiki
is now accessible, with the exception of ?ric Jenn's FAQ,
the contents still mostly come from the same people who could
be working at improving Frama-C if they weren't spending their time
there.

Regards,

Pascal