[Frama-c-discuss] three newbie questions

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] three newbie questions
  • From: agoodloe at gmail.com (Alwyn Goodloe)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:25:42 -0400

The first two questions have to do with \valid_range(...) the last is about
CVC3(2.2).

Question 1.
------------------
Alt-ergo can easily prove:
    /*@ assert m > 0 ; */
   float *c =  (float *) malloc(m *sizeof(float *));
    /*@ assert  \valid_range(c,0,(m-1)); */
but not

    /*@ assert m > 0 ; */
   double *c =  (double *) malloc(m *sizeof(double *));
    /*@ assert  \valid_range(c,0,(m-1)); */

I'm guessing this has to do with the size of doubles. Are there any hacks
needed to make this work??

Question 2
-----------------
Suppose my C program has the format

/* globally declaration */
struct Pstate{
 int x;
 int  y;
 int z[3];
}ps =
 { 0,
   1,
    {0, 0, 0}
  } ;

static void f(){
  int i,j;
  int d;

  d = ps.z[j];

   ps.z[i] =  some other computation;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

/*@  assert \valid_range(ps.z,0,2);*/

It seems that such an assert should work since the array is initialized
memory, but I seem to be wrong. What is the
best way to get Jessie to recognize this ps.z[0..2] a valid memory range.

Question 3.
Finally, I have installed CVC3 and frama-c recognizes it's there (at lest
the GUI does) but all the calls seem to break. Is this just me or is some
special switch needed for this one.

Thanks for your help.

--
Alwyn E. Goodloe