[Frama-c-discuss] Type invariants

Hello,

Type invariants are not supported by Jessie for the moment. Moreover,
the current
distributed version of jessie within Why 2.xx is in a frozen state: no
new features will be added
anymore in it, instead there is a plan to develop a successor on top of
the new Why3 engine whose first public release appeared last december.
But I cannot announce any date for availability of it yet.

Indeed, there are on-going Ph.D. theses in the ProVal team of INRIA
Saclay on the support of data invariants. If you want to know more
details about why this support in difficult, I recommend to read the
following paper:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/leino/papers/krml161.pdf.
Although it is centered to OO programming, most of the challenges listed
also apply to C. I also recommend the paper
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/leino/papers/krml209.pdf
which gives simple examples of programs for which type invariants are
needed but are hard to handle.

Finally, notice that a standard workaround for the lack of type
invariants is to declare the expected invariant as a predicate, and add
this predicate wherever you want it, e.g in pre and/or post-conditions.

- Claude