[Frama-c-discuss] Mailing-list administrivia

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Mailing-list administrivia
  • From: pascal.cuoq at gmail.com (Pascal Cuoq)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:52:39 +0200

This message is mainly for the mailing list administrators
(if there is such a thing. I think that INRIAGForge gives
privileges to some users), but surely someone is going to
complain, so I send it to the list at the same time.

Frama-c-discuss has a "digest" feature. People are using it wrong.
There is a simple and obvious fix, with only beneficial side-effects:
disable the feature. It makes it simpler to subscribe to the
mailing list (one less choice) and removes the possibility of
replying to the digest.

If we can't disable it, we could fix a larger problem at the same
time, which is to have any dependency at all on INRIAGForge,
by moving the mailing list elsewhere.

This may mean that everyone has to re-subscribe,
but it doesn't have to. Actually,
INRIAGForge exposes the e-mail addresses of all subscribers
to each subscriber. It's a feature: there is a webform to fill to get
the addresses. With features like that, who needs security bugs?
We could use the "feature" to re-subscribe existing members
quite transparently.

Pascal