[Frama-c-discuss] Seminar W. Schulte, March 18 (with title and abstract this time)

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Seminar W. Schulte, March 18 (with title and abstract this time)
  • From: Claude.Marche at inria.fr (Claude Marche)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:03:12 +0100

Title: Software engineering and testing at Microsoft : A research
perspective

Wolfram Schulte, Microsoft Research (MSR), Redmond, USA.

SUP?LEC, Amphi F3-05.

Vendredi 18 Mars 2011 ? 14h30

Abstract: Software is changing the world. But the software that drives
this change is continuously growing in complexity
and functionality. At the same time release cycles are shortening and
customer expectations are rising.
How does Microsoft guarantee trustworthy software in this challenging
environment? In this talk I will shortly
present Microsoft's approach to testing: its engineering life cycle, the
role that testers play, and the used
test tools and systems. I will then drill down into technologies (and
tools) that my team championed in the last years:
model-based testing with SpecExplorer, unit testing with Pex, security
testing with Sage, and concurrency testing with
Chess and friends.
While these tools improve the effectiveness of software testing
dramatically, there are still plenty of research challenges
ahead, some of which I will address. Only if we tackle these successfully,
we might be able to say someday that software bugs
are as rare as power outages.

--
Claude March?                          | tel: +33 1 72 92 59 69
INRIA Saclay - ?le-de-France           | mobile: +33 6 33 14 57 93