[Frama-c-discuss] z3 failure

On 07/10/2013 22:35, Pascal Cuoq wrote:

> So what happens with the ACSL formula a == b, when the program
> variable b contains a copy of the program variable a (that contain NaN),
> in this ?full? float model, then?
>
> Because == is still the (reflexive) mathematical equality, not the
> IEEE equality between doubles that can also be introduced in ACSL
> as a convenient additional predicate ieee754_eq of double arguments
> that would match the semantics of == in C, right?
>
> And, incidentally, a==b is typed as an equality between reals
> in this case, isn't it? So the formula is in a way equivalent to:
> (real)NaN == (real)NaN
> And the above formula is not dissimilar to 1 / 0 == 1 / 0, in
> that neither side can be evaluated further (but ACSL, as
> a first-order logic, is total, so these terms exist).
>
> And, like 1/0 == 1/0, it is an instance of \forall x, x == x,
> so it is correct for a prover to infer that this formula is true?

I am not able to test it in practice, so I will give the theoretical answer.

A prover will be able to prove the formula, as long as your two NaNs
come from the exact same place. So, in your example where b is truly a
copy of a, then a == b will hold. Otherwise, the non-determinism that
occurs while creating NaN data will cause the equality to fail.

Best regards,

Guillaume