[Frama-c-discuss] slicing inquiry

On 02/10/2019 18:26, Ivan Postolski wrote:
> Hello Virgile
>
> Thank you very much. This is super useful!! I do not know Ocaml, so I
> would be stuck for a long time if you didn't took the trouble to make
> this script.
>
> There's a couple of corner cases that I will try to solve (i.e
> conditional statements only show the line where they begin, and
> function's declaring lines aren't shown as well).
>
> I have an spin-off question, how is the recommended way to execute
> frama-c over a project? (e.g. gzip) that have multiple headers and .c
> files, and have a makefile for compiling.

I did some blog posts on the subject, for instance:
http://blog.frama-c.com/index.php?post/2018/01/25/Analysis-scripts%3A-helping-automate-case-studies

There are some newer features in the latest Frama-C releases that could
help. Namely, frama-c-script. But the overall process is not perfectly
robust: we rely on the JSON Compilation Database
<https://clang.llvm.org/docs/JSONCompilationDatabase.html> format used
by LLVM, which is not ideal, so a few caveats apply.

Overall, the process is:

- Install Build EAR <https://github.com/rizsotto/Bear> to generate a
compile_commands.json file from running gzip's makefile (e.g. `bear make`);

- Run `frama-c-script list-files` to list the available source files
(including the ones containing a main function);

- Run `frama-c-script make-template` to create a GNUmakefile template
for running Frama-C;

- If everything works as expected, running `make parse` should parse the
files with Frama-C, then `make eva` should run the Eva plug-in. If you
want to use other plug-ins, you can load the parsing result and apply
other command-line options, e.g.:

frama-c -load gzip.parse/framac.sav <other options>

(if you want to reuse the results /after/ running Eva, just load
gzip.*eva*/framac.sav instead)

By the way, there is a Github repository with open source case studies
for Eva <https://github.com/Frama-C/open-source-case-studies> which
includes an old version of gzip. The case study is not finalized, but it
could serve as example on how to configure things. You can take a look
at `gzip124/GNUmakefile`.

Best regards,

André