[Frama-c-discuss] Ideas and remarks

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Ideas and remarks
  • From: anne.pacalet at free.fr (Anne Pacalet)
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 18:26:08 +0100

Dear Fram-C team,

I've been using Frama-C quiet a lot this week, more specifically
the value analysis and the GUI, and I think it's great !

Nevertheless, I want to give you some ideas about new features
that are not necessarily  difficult to add, I think,
and could enhance the tool (if possible ;-) ) :

- it would be great to have a summary about the alarms
at the end of the value analysis. At the moment, I use
a selective "grep warning" to count the messages in the log file,
but a summary could also  give the list of all possible detected
problems.

- I listed that it would be also great to have information
about the dead code detected by the value analysis,
but then, I discovered : -metrics-value-cover
which give exactly want I wanted. Good.

- In the GUI, both formal and local variables are said
to be 'local' : it is sometime interesting to make the difference.

- In the GUI again, the "go the caller" function is really useful.
But when browsing a project where the value analysis results are
available, the semantic callgraph is used, so the dead functions
have no callers, and that makes it very painful to go up in the
syntactic callgraph (with grep and so on) to find why the function
is dead. I don't know the better solution to solve the problem
(mixing both information ???) but I think if could be really useful.

- I often wished to dump the value analysis state of a program point
from the GUI, but maybe this is an advance (debug) feature...

That all. Hope some of these ideas will be in the next version ;-)

I wish you a nice week-end,
--
Anne.