[Frama-c-discuss] Frama-c support for dynamic memory

Thank you all for your help and pointers.  This discussion has been very helpful (and much appreciated)!!  I will look carefully and reach out to individual responders.

Mike

From: Frama-c-discuss <frama-c-discuss-bounces at lists.gforge.inria.fr> on behalf of CORRENSON Loic <loic.correnson at cea.fr>
Date: Monday, May 18, 2020 at 4:40 AM
To: Frama-C public discussion <frama-c-discuss at lists.gforge.inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [Frama-c-discuss] Frama-c support for dynamic memory

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest in Frama-C and its deductive verification plugins (WP & Jessie).
Just to complement the excellent answer by Claude, I would like to point out the following items:

 - allocation is already part of the Frama-C/WP memory models, eg. we use it for handling the scope of local variables, validity and assigns (which is somehow related to validity);
 - however,  ACSL allocation clauses (such as @allocates) are not _yet_ implemented;
 - ghost fields would also be easy to implement in the memory models;
 - ghost fields and variables can not have logical type, and implementing them in the Frama-C kernel would be a significant development — and also raises some tricky design choices!

By the way, you can find an example for singly-linked lists in this paper [1]. Note that this case study would have benefited of the support of logic types in ghost code, and that some workarounds are used to deal with this limitation, as Claude told before, dealing with memory separation is still a hard task.

Best regards,
   L. Correnson

[1] https://allan-blanchard.fr/publis/bkl_sac_2019.pdf