[Frama-c-discuss] Installing Boron

  • Subject: [Frama-c-discuss] Installing Boron
  • From: Julien.Signoles at cea.fr (Julien Signoles)
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:31 +0200

Boris Hollas a ?crit :
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 09:07 +0200, Julien Signoles wrote:
>
>> Actually it is possible to set a configure's option to compile and
>> install both Frama-C and the plug-in Jessie coming with Why:
>>
>> ./configure --enable-external=why/frama-c-plugin
>> make
>> sudo make install (may require superuser right)
>>
>> OK, this option is not indicated in file INSTALL but it is explained in
>> the user manual.
>
> I see. But wouldn't it be easier for the users if this was explained in
> the file INSTALL?  Otherwise, the users who doesn't know where to find
> this has to search in several places.

Maybe it will be added in file INSTALL. But it is not mandatory to know
that such a feature exists in order to be able to install Frama-C and Why.

By the way, this feature is mainly for plug-in developers/users with SVN
access to Frama-C which do not want to re-install Frama-C and their
external plug-ins each time they do "svn update". IMHO this option
"--enable-external" is quite useless for standard Frama-C users.

>> INSTALL_WITH_WHY while the compilation instructions of Frama-C Boron
>> (http://frama-c.com/install-boron-20100401.html) is the contents of the
>> file INSTALL.
>
> This is right. But this file doesn't explain what packages are needed to compile the code. The file INSTALL is much more verbose and helpful, therefore I suggest to merge that information.

This file indicates:
=====
Please refer to the specific installation instructions for Frama-C and Why:
- file INSTALL of Frama-C
- file INSTALL of Why
====
The file INSTALL of Frama-C contains a section "Requirements"... Maybe
we can put a link to http://frama-c.com/install-boron-20100401.html on
the website.

--
Julien